Sunday, February 20, 2011

1Y45W: New Year, New Job (1/3/11 - 1/9/11)

This week was very busy and overwhelming as I began my new position in COPD Clinical Research. We are trying to get our research study up and running quickly so there is a lot to do and a lot to learn. I spent most of my evenings trying to memorize the study protocol and manual of procedures which consisted of 100s of pages of vital information. I really like the study coordinator, Laurie, whom I am working under and already feel like a vital and appreciated member of the team as all of my PFT background knowledge and experience is very important to the study. Monday through Thursday flew by and I was back in the PFT lab on Friday. I was run ragged that day as apparently they wanted to get a weeks’ worth of work out of me in one day. I was exhausted by the weekend so we spent it very relaxed and low-key.

The ‘My Toddler This Week’ email that I got from babycenter.com was very relevant to Lily’s current behavior and development.
New this month- Issuing orders:
Now that your toddler can communicate using both words and gestures, you can expect him to become quite bossy. Mostly he's experimenting with how his ability to communicate affects the people around him. For instance, he might yell "Stop!" when you start singing his favorite song. It's not that he really wants you to stop singing. He's more interested in seeing how you respond to his order. If he demands "Help me!" when he's playing with a toy, you're witnessing a huge developmental leap. Rather than throwing a toy he can't operate, he can now ask you to help him figure it out. "Look!" is another frequent command. Usually this request signifies a need for your approval. He may want you to compliment one of his scribbles, block towers, or simply acknowledge that he put on his socks. Praising his specific achievements will give him the confidence to keep trying new things on his own.
What you can do:
Use your toddler's bossy behavior as a springboard to teaching "please" and "thank-you." For example, when he says "Help," teach him to say "Help, please!" You can also use his demands to get a conversation going. When he says "Stop," ask him to explain why he wants you to stop doing whatever you're doing. Although your toddler probably doesn't have the vocabulary to give you a real explanation, you may be surprised at how well he expresses himself.”

Lily is definitely into ordering us around. She likes to command us to lie down on the living room floor then hands us a pillow and a blanket and tells us, “Close your eyes!” If only I could make her take a nap on command! It’s cute so we usually play along but once she did it to both of us and we both actually fell asleep and woke up to her jumping on the couch. That was a bit scary! When she does demand something, we try to remind her of the manners she started using so sweetly on her own back in October. Lily does ask for help now which is a huge step. She doesn’t get nearly as frustrated but instead tends to know her limits and asks for help if something is out of her reach or too heavy to lift. Thanks to learning Spanish from watching Dora the Explorer, she usually says “ayudame” instead of “help me”. Adorable!

As stated above, I was quite busy every evening learning about my new job so I didn't take many pictures.

Here is Lily using a paper towel tube as a telescope to look at her toys on Sunday:


And to watch Dora:

No comments: