Tuesday, September 30, 2008

19 Weeks Along (Friday, 9/26/08)

The weekend was spent doing stuff around the house. Saturday I mowed the lawn for the first time in forever. Finally getting rain brought it back to life. The baby did not appreciate the bouncing of the riding lawn mower. I tried to go slow but it didn’t help. It caused some cramping which resolved after lying down and drinking lots of water. We gave the dog a bath as well. I wanted to clean the house but I was just too darned pooped. Sunday my mom came to help clean the basement again. For some reason, it gave me a lot of trouble with my asthma. We must have kicked up a lot of dust. My asthma was still really bothering me on Monday. I did a breathing test on myself and compared it to the one I had done last week as part of regular quality assurance at work. My numbers were way down. I talked to Dr. Flaherty about it and he changed my Pulmicort to Symbicort. I hope it works for me. He also suggested having Paul go into the basement and do a bunch of dusting and vacuuming for me before I go down there. I asked for that prescription in writing but I believe he thought I was joking. The rest of the week was fairly uneventful. My craving for Indian food is still going strong. I bought a bunch to go then ate it Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Yummy. The ultrasound to find out the baby’s gender is on the 30th. I can’t wait! I still have no premonition or preference other than I want a nice healthy baby.

News from the womb…
Lanugo (temporary downy hair) now appears on the baby’s head and body. This helps hold the vernix on the skin. The vernix caseosa is a creamy looking substance that now covers the baby’s skin in order to protect it and its developing glands and sensory cells. If the baby is a girl, mature egg cells now exist in her ovaries. From now until the baby is born, the placenta will grow in diameter but not thickness. Heat-producing brown fat has begun to form at the base of the baby’s neck, by the breastbone, and near the urethra.

No comments: