Tuesday, September 2, 2008

14 Weeks Along (Friday, 8/22/08)

Saturday was our Second Annual Rysso Family Luau. Everything came together perfectly and the party went great. The weather was beautiful and everyone seemed to have fun. The best part was the piƱata which finally needed to be put out of its misery by a very enthusiastic Jamie Rumminger. My parents and Aunt Gloria were a great help and I don’t know if I could have done it without them. The neighbors and their adorable sons helped us take down the tent and pull all the decorations onto the patio after the mosquitoes broke up the party after dark. It was my intention to spend Sunday cleaning up but I was too exhausted to move that day. I slept in until almost 2pm then just lazed around all day. Everyone kept talking about doing it again next year but I don’t know if I will have the energy once the baby is here. I want to have another one but I guess we will just have to wait and see. We will definitely have to downsize the festivities, though.
The week was mostly spent slowly cleaning up after the party. Rachel wasn’t around this week. Since her camp had concluded, she spent half the week at my parents’ house and the other half at Cedar Point with the Roofs. She had a lot of fun while our week was mostly unnoteworthy. Thursday I went to a bachelorette party for my friend Cate. I was the lame one not drinking who had to have a two hour nap before the party so I could stay up past 10pm. What wild child I have become!
I almost forgot that the results from the first trimester screening came in this week. The nuchal lucency was normal, the risk for Down Syndrome is 1 in 3,299, and the risk for Trisomy 18 is 1 in 17,561 meaning that all is well.

News from the womb…
The baby practices inhaling and exhaling movements in the womb that sends amniotic fluid in and out of the lungs. The presence of the fluid is essential to the proper formation of the air sacs within the lungs. The baby’s colon has rotated 180 degrees counterclockwise and has formed a square around the small intestine. The two top corners of the colon have attached to the body wall and the colon ends in an anal canal while the small intestine remains suspended in the abdomen. The baby’s spleen is now fully functional and assumes functions supervised by the liver: the removal of old red blood cells and the production of antibodies. The sucking muscles have filled out baby’s cheeks and the salivary glands have begun to form. The baby has begun making breathing, sucking, and swallowing motions. The baby is now quite active and its movements have gone from mechanical and puppet-like to smooth and fluid. The baby is now about 3 inches long. (Apparently mine is ahead of schedule since it was 3 inches long last week.)

No comments: