Friday, August 22, 2008

8 Weeks Along (Friday, 7/11/08)

We spent the rest of the weekend in Traverse City and Lovells. We went to the Cherry Festival Air Show featuring the Blue Angels on Saturday. We watched it on the roof of Debbie’s work building downtown with her, her husband, and Paul’s parents. Debbie and I shared in our pregnancy experiences. It’s like I finally got to join the club! It is cool that she is due only 3 months ahead of me. All weekend, I kept dwelling on my boss’ chilly reception to my work restrictions. It shocked me but did not quite pop my balloon of delight on Friday. But the more I thought about it over the weekend, the more I became incensed at her lack of respect for my and my baby’s health. Since she still had me scheduled to do the testing that I was restricted from, I felt my only way to be listened to was to send an email to her, her boss, my other supervisors, the doctor who wrote the note, and human resources. Their response was that the doctor’s orders had to be obeyed no matter what and in the end; I was put on the proper restrictions. I felt bad that I had to go over her head but I had no other option. Now I am under the microscope as I have upset the balance of power.
This week I was supposed to get my hair cut and highlighted but I cancelled the appointment. I keep reading contradicting things on whether coloring your hair is bad for the baby or not. Most things I have read cannot come to a conclusion and therefore recommend waiting until at least the first trimester is over to get it done since this period is so critical to baby’s development. I know that it is selfish to be concerned about my hair but I hate the grays!
Overall, I have been a little less tired this week but still pretty bad. I can’t believe that two months have passed. It hasn’t been all that long, though, considering that you spend the first month clueless about the pregnancy!

News from the womb…
The pituitary gland, trachea, larynx, bronchi, external ear, upper lip, facial muscles, tooth buds, gonads, nipples, eyelids, and diaphragm have begun to form. The intestines have begun to form in the umbilical cord because of shortage of space in the baby’s gut due to its massive liver and all the sets of kidneys. The palate continued its development. The eyes look pigmented even though the color won’t be established until after birth. The baby’s head is much larger than the trunk and is bent over a bump of tissue that contains the developing heart. Now the neck and trunk have begun to straighten and the hand plates have developed ridges indicating where the fingers and thumbs will be. The eye muscles have completed their development. The trunk of the pulmonary artery has separated from the trunk of the aorta in the heart. The kidneys have begun to produce urine as they start their ascent to their final position near the small of the back. The arms are now at their proper location and proportional in size for this stage in development. The cartilage that first appeared during week 5 has begun to harden into bone. The lower limbs have developed foot plates and indentations have formed where the knees and ankles will eventually develop. Near the beginning of the week, the baby was 8-11mm long, having doubled in length in just eight days and could fit within the perimeter of a dime. By the end of the week, the baby was 11-14mm long and could fit within a peanut shell and weigh less than the whole peanut in that shell. The growth rate is so fast that if my baby grew as fast right after birth as it is right now, it would be 15 feet tall by the time it was one month old!

No comments: