Wednesday, August 27, 2008

11 Weeks Along (Friday, 8/1/08)

Saturday we packed up and left the resort fairly early in the morning to begin our 14 hour car ride home. This time we drove straight through. We didn’t get home until really late then got up the next morning to go to Lapeer to Grayson’s 5th birthday party. I wasn’t as exhausted as I thought I would be and the party was fun so I am glad that we made the effort to go. We picked up Betsy from my parents who had been dog-sitting then went back home to attempt to do some unpacking and laundry before work on Monday.
Wednesday I had my first appointment with OB. It actually wasn’t with my OB doctor but with the nurse practitioner instead. She is the same person that I see for my annual pap smears (what fun). The visit was to basically familiarize me with what was ahead. I did get a quick audio (not visual) ultrasound and could hear the baby’s heartbeat again. That is such a wonderful sound. When I left, I set up all of my visits right up to my due date. It made that day seem all that much closer!

News from the womb…
The baby’s body continues to straighten. The legs are completely vascularized. The skin begins to thicken and become less transparent. The iris of the eye begins to develop. The eyelids temporarily fuse shut. Ossification centers establish in the skull. The bones and muscles grow rapidly. The body proportions begin to resemble those of a newborn. The baby has doubled its weight to between 1/4 and 1/3 ounce. The baby is now 5cm (2 inches) long and stands as high as the short side of a credit card.

No comments: