Sunday, November 1, 2009

Lily's 31st Week (9/28/09 – 10/4/09)

Kirsten was sick with a sinus infection for most of this week. My mom came over on Sunday night and stayed to watch Lily on Monday and Tuesday. We were so grateful to have her watch Lily and we enjoyed having her company for a few days. I think she and Lily had fun together. Mom had to leave on Tuesday night. I had a dentist appointment that evening so as soon as we got home, I had to leave Lily with Paul and hit the road. It was a pretty quick cleaning and I was cavity-free as always.

Aneasha watched Lily on Wednesday. After we picked her up, we went to Once Upon a Child which is a gently used children’s clothing store not too far from the Roof’s house. A friend recommended looking there for a Halloween costume for Lily. To Paul’s dismay, I absolutely loved the store so we spent a lot of time there. I got Lily a few cute outfits for Halloween, some jeans, a winter coat, and two Halloween costumes. I couldn’t decide between a ladybug costume and a chicken costume. Since one was only $4.00 and the other was only $8.50, I decided not to choose and just get both. They were much cuter and much cheaper than the $40 poorly constructed new ones I had seen elsewhere.

Lily was back with Kirsten on Thursday as she was finally feeling better. I had quite the surplus of milk to give Kirsten. My milk production is finally up plus Lily hasn’t been eating much all week. When I picked her up on Thursday evening, Kirsten asked when she had gotten her first tooth. I thought that maybe I was a negligent mom and hadn’t noticed but nursing her that evening felt totally different than nursing her that morning so it was definitely not something I would have missed. She must have popped the tooth that day. What a big day for her as Thursday was also her 7 month birthday! I am worried that this tooth may be the end of nursing as it is already sharp and quite uncomfortable for me and it has barely broken through. Due to all the surplus milk, I froze what I pumped Thursday. I was glad to be able to finally replace some of the frozen milk we have been using up the past few months. I shot a video of Lily once we got home. It was supposed to show her almost crawling but instead it showed how much she loves Nolan and why we can never keep socks on her feet. You can view it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj4yJDkK7QM

Paul had Friday off from work. I still worked and Lily still went to Kirsten’s house for the day. I had to put on a team building game with my coworker, Dave, at our morning meeting. Meanwhile, Paul went to Breakfast and Books with Rachel at her school. They had breakfast in the cafeteria, went to a book sale, then Paul went to Rachel’s first hour with her which is orchestra. He was very impressed with how well the orchestra sounds already. After first hour, he attended an informational meeting then went home to work on putting in a drainage system on the north side of our house which always gets very soggy when it rains. Rachel had an early dismissal from school because it was Pinckney’s homecoming so she and Paul went to the homecoming parade. Rachel had a lot of fun and knew a lot of people there. I think it is good for her to belong to a small community like ours and she really seems to be fitting in and finding a lot of friends this year. After Lily and I got home, we had dinner then watched ‘Space Camp’ as Friday night is frequently movie night in our house.

Lily decided to get up at 4:00am on Saturday morning, much to my dismay. She has been doing this for some reason the past few weekends. During the week, we often have to wake her up at 7:00am to get her dressed and ready to go to Kirsten’s, yet on the weekend, she regularly wakes up on her own before 6:00am. It is so unfair. She finally went back to bed for a little while. Paul took her downstairs and let me sleep in, kind of. His idea of letting me sleep in is to bring Lily in to me for about 20 minutes every hour to watch her while he feeds the birds, puts in a load of laundry, etc. I guess the constantly interrupted sleep is better than no sleep at all but it still leaves me feeling less than refreshed. After I got up, Paul worked in the garage and got out his hunting supplies to organize and wash. He practiced shooting his bow a bit then we watched the MSU/U of M game. I went to MSU for 6 years but have worked for U of M for 8 years. Nonetheless, my heart belongs to my alma mater so I was very glad that MSU won in overtime. It was quite a nail biter! After the game, we had another family movie night and watched ‘Adventures in Babysitting’. For some reason, they keep playing all these old movies that I loved when I was around Rachel’s age. I am happy that I get to share them with her. Plus, we all enjoy making fun of the 80’s hair and clothing.

On Sunday, we got up early because the plan was to have my friend, Christina, take some pictures of Lily in a pumpkin patch that morning. She is trying to start her own photography business so she was looking for test subjects to build her portfolio. I was looking to get some fall pictures taken of Lily so it was beneficial for us both. Unfortunately, it was quite soggy out from all of the rain on Saturday and cold as well so we decided to postpone until Monday evening. It was a miracle to have us all showered and dressed before 9am on the weekend, so we did not want to sit around the house all day. We first watched ‘Fletch’ on the DVR (yet another fun 80’s movie) then went to brunch at Zukey Lake Tavern. We planned on going to the Parshallville Grist Mill so we called up Paul’s friend, Chris, who lives in Howell to see if his family was up for visitors later that afternoon. They don’t live very far from the cider mill and we hadn’t seen them in a long time. Lucky for us, they didn’t have any plans so after brunch we went to Great Clips so Paul and Rachel could get haircuts then headed to the cider mill. It kept raining on and off all day but we timed it perfectly. It stopped raining when we got there and started raining right as we were leaving. Despite the spotty weather, the Parshallville Grist Mill was quite busy. While we were there, we wandered around the grounds, watched them make cider, and then got some cider and donuts to take back to the Pombier’s house. We had a nice long visit with Chris and Laura while Rachel had fun playing with their kids, Olivia and Ben. We ended up having pizza for dinner with them and stayed until almost 8pm. Lily was pretty tired from our busy day but didn’t want to nap at their house. She finally fell asleep on Paul right before we left but then woke up when we put her in her carseat. She slept for only a few minutes on the drive home then woke up again. Lily hadn’t been very hungry all day but apparently that came to an abrupt halt because she ate a container and a half of baby food when we got home, the most she has ever eaten, then fought going to bed as she was over-tired. I finally got her to sleep by letting her cuddle with my Pooh bear on my bed while I finally finished putting away her 9 month clothing in her room. Her room has been a big mess for over a week so I was glad to finally get it cleaned up.

Lily didn’t seem fussy this week but I suspect that her tooth did bother her judging by her decreased interest in eating. I tried to give her a bottle twice this weekend as nursing is quite painful but she angrily refused it both times. I guess that teeth or no teeth, the nursing will continue. I gave her more stage 2 mixes this week. I thought that stage 2 would be much thicker than stage 1 but it isn’t. She likes her food pretty thick so I add oatmeal to her fruit and rice cereal to her vegetables. That way she gets the consistency she wants and eats the proper amount of grains since she doesn’t like the taste of them just mixed with breastmilk or formula. She usually eats about one half to one full container of baby food mixed with grains at both lunch and dinner.

Lily is really close to crawling but still hasn’t figured it out yet. Frequently when she gets on her hands and knees, she straightens her legs as apparently she would rather stand than crawl. She doesn’t pull up to standing much but if she does, she can stand on her own for a few short seconds before losing her balance.

Lily has finally settled into a pretty consistent bedtime routine. Sometimes this gets thrown off on the weekend but she is very consistent during the week. She almost always goes to sleep at 8:30pm. She usually naps around 9:30am and 2:30pm and sometimes has another nap around noon. Her naps still vary in frequency and length but her bedtime rarely changes.

Here are some pictures from this week.

Lily loves her play gym. These pictures were taken by Grandma Chris while she watched Lily on Monday. She is wearing an adorable outfit from Roni:


Lily showing how she can stand up on Monday evening. She is trying to get her pacifier off the table:

Lily and I are all smiles:

Sleeping on Grandma Chris. I love how her arms are crossed:

Me and my sleepy baby on Tuesday evening. It was 8:30pm, time for bed:

Lily enjoys playing independently for longer stretches of time now. Here she is on Thursday night, happily playing while I get things ready for work the next day:

My snuggly sleeper taking a late nap at Kirsten’s on Friday after work:

Lily working her way over Paul’s leg to get to her xylophone during movie night:


Sleeping on Daddy during the movie on Friday night:

Taking her Saturday afternoon nap on Mommy:

Taking her Sunday morning nap on Mommy during ‘Fletch’:

Lily and Rachel at Zukey Lake Tavern:

Lily got her first balloon at Great Clips. She absolutely loved it:

The Parshallville Grist Mill:

Lily, Paul, and Rachel on the bridge over the river:


Lily, Rachel, and I by the mill wheel:

Rachel, Lily, and I looking at the river:

My adorable baby with Daddy in line for cider and donuts:

Paul, Lily, and Rachel watching them grind up apples for the cider:

My family:

Lily meeting Laura:

Lily loved playing with her balloon at the Pombier’s. It was interesting to watch her mind work. Normally when she drops a toy, it goes down. After letting go of her balloon, she quickly learned that it went up instead and would stare at it on the ceiling until someone brought it back down for her. She loved to punch it over and over again and didn’t mind that it kept hitting her in the head:





Lily cuddling with my Pooh bear on my bed on Sunday night. Reiley was snuggled up to Lily and he, Lily, and Pooh were all laying the same way. I thought this was very cute, especially considering that Reiley usually keeps his distance from Lily:

No comments: