Thursday, December 4, 2008

28 Weeks Along (Friday, 11/28/08)

I am seven months along now!
Saturday we spent the morning cleaning the house then picked up Rachel at the airport. When she gets home she likes to spend time with all of our pets, explore the house for changes, and settle back into her bedroom. Then my parents came over and we all went out to dinner at Red Robin, one of Rachel’s favorite restaurants, to celebrate her being home. Sunday we had a lazy morning then went to the Exhibit Museum of Natural History on U of M’s campus, took a traditional voyage to Wal-Mart to do our grocery shopping, and watched Madagascar on the couch for movie night.
Since Paul and I are saving our time off for when the baby comes, we did not take Monday through Wednesday off to spend with Rachel but instead she spent the days while we were working at her friend Kassiana’s house. The girls had a blast giggling privately, having snowball fights, playing video games, sewing, doing spa treatments, and generally being goofy girls. They are excited to get together again so we may do the same for a few days over Christmas break if her parents are game. We spent the evenings with Rachel mostly talking and watching very old Jonny Quest cartoons that I had gotten Paul for Christmas last year. Paul and Rachel are very into bonding over the cartoons of Paul’s youth and even got the idea over the week to write their own Jonny Quest adventure. They are taking turns with every other sentence with me interjecting every once in a while. The story is going along well and they have plans for many more. My silly kids!
Monday I did my glucose tolerance test and Tuesday I had my monthly OB appointment. He said that my bloodwork was perfect and there was no concern or tendency toward gestational diabetes so that was good news. I lost another 4.5 pounds making a grand total of 10.5 pounds lost since the pregnancy began. My OB is still not concerned because the baby is growing well and getting all that she needs.
Thursday we went to my grandmother’s house for Thanksgiving dinner. She is 88 years old but still does everything on her own. What a woman! It was great visiting with her, my parents, my Aunt Robin and Uncle Lee, their kids Ashlee and Todd, Ashlee’s husband Jeremy, and my Aunt Gloria. We spent the night afterward at my parents’ house and watched a movie on their giant screen TV and home theater in the basement which Rachel always loves to do. The next day the girls went shopping, mainly for Christmas presents for Rachel as she is getting harder and harder to buy for in her ‘tween years. The boys stayed home to do a small amount of work on my car then go to the movies. Unfortunately, changing the turn signal in my car turned out to be a giant pain for them so the movie never happened. We had leftovers for dinner then headed home to pack up Rachel for her return trip to New York. Lisa booked her on a 6:15am flight which means that we will have to get up at 3:30am. No one is looking forward to that. The week really flew by but we all had a lot of fun. Poor Rachel had a few meltdowns over loving it here in Michigan and not wanting to return to New York but we reassured her that Christmas would come quickly and she would be back before she knew it to enjoy another holiday with us. In a way, we were also reassuring ourselves as it is never easy to part with her.

News from the womb…
By now, the baby’s body is composed of 2-3% body fat. The baby’s eyelids have unfused and now open partially. The baby’s eyes are completely formed and eyelashes are forming. The baby’s sucking and swallowing skills are improving. The baby now measures about 10 inches in length and weighs 2.13 pounds.

No comments: