Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Dissapointments and Delays

So, we did not get the anniversary present that we were hoping for. I guess I would have gotten the same result if I had followed their instructions so nothing ventured nothing gained. Nonetheless, the two weeks of anxious anticipation followed by the blow of failure is really wearing on me.

The plan for cycle 17 was to do the hybrid therapy again, Femara pills plus Gonal-F shots, but to cut the dose of the Gonal-F in half to decrease the chance of over ovulating again. So I went in for my day 3 ultrasound to make sure that everything was good to go and found out that I couldn't do the treatment this month because I have a 17 mm cyst in my right ovary. Gonal-F can increase the size of cysts so they do not allow people to take it if they have cysts that are too big. Last cycle I had one that was 15 mm, just below the cutoff, so I was okay but this time I was above the cutoff so no Gonal-F for me. What a bummer. But what do you expect with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? My doctor said that she would allow me to go ahead with treatment but it may not work because the ovary with the cyst may not respond to the medication or it could produce hormones on its own that would prohibit either ovary from responding. She said that there is a 80% chance that the cyst will go away on its own and I can do treatment again next cycle but if I went ahead with treatment this cycle, there would only be a 50% chance that the cyst would go away. With the lower chances of the medication succeeding, the lower chances of the cyst going away, and the cost of the treatment factored in, I made the tough decision to go ahead and skip Gonal-F and insemination this cycle. I did still take the Femara to help me ovulate but I am not holding my breath for any success this cycle. It is disappointing enough to go through treatment and not get the results you want but it is even more difficult when you can't even go through the treatment!

No comments: