Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Mountain Climbing (12/2/09)

I still receive Stepping Stones magazine which offers Christian support for couples facing infertility or pregnancy loss. I thought about canceling my subscription but I still identify with women struggling with infertility and probably always will. Even though I was lucky enough to have been blessed with a child does not make me forget my journey. It is probably a blessing as it makes me appreciate my miracle even more. Anyway, the first article in this month’s issue was so applicable to me. It was titled ‘Mountain Climbing’ and began

"Have you ever gone mountain climbing? If you have, you will know that it is never a straight climb to the top. Mountain climbing always involves a combination of peaks and valleys. You climb one peak, and you are excited because you think you are reaching the top of the mountain, only to discover there is another peak ahead of you. When you climb the next peak full of anticipation, you may discover that there is still another peak beyond that.
Many of you reading these lines may feel like you are climbing a mountain as you hope and pray for a baby. You have experienced peaks, and you have suffered through valleys, but the top may seem farther away than ever.
There are others who have climbed the mountain and are now at the top. Through God's grace, they have been blessed with their heart's desire. Now they want to encourage those who are still climbing..."

It then proceeded as a narrative of a woman's journey through infertility and concluded with

"…Although I do not think of infertility every day, I will never forget those of you who are still climbing- especially on Christmas and Mother's Day. I remember you who are in the valley of pain, and I pray for you. I don't know where each journey will end, but I want to encourage every climber to hold on to the One who will faithfully lead you- the One who has promised never to leave us or forsake us."

I totally identified with this article. This woman’s journey was different than mine but I was amazed by her strength. She could have easily complained about her journey as a nightmare but chose instead to use her setbacks to strengthen her faith and increase her appreciation of the blessing of children. I, too, feel truly blessed that I have reached the summit and I continue to offer my support and prayers for strength for those out there who are still climbing.

No comments: