Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Lily's 39th Week (11/23/09 – 11/29/09)

My parents came over while we were at work on Monday. My mom cleaned the house and my dad installed the baby gate at the top of the stairs and all of our cabinet locks in the kitchen. My mom made a nice dinner for all of us when we got home from work. We were very appreciative of their help and will miss it in the coming month as my mom will be busy helping my grandmother after her surgery.

Kirsten took Wednesday off so that she could start preparing her family’s Thanksgiving meal at their lake house so Auriel and Aneasha watched Lily. It was also the day of my grandmother’s knee replacement surgery. I wanted to take the entire day off to watch Lily and be at the hospital with my grandma but I could only get part of the afternoon off of work. Then I found out that the visitor policy at McLaren is similar to that at U of M Hospital, banning children and only allowing two adults per patient to prevent the spread of flu. My mom, dad, Lee, and Robin, were already alternating staying with my grandma so I was unable to go visit her anyway. The surgery went well but she was extremely nauseated during recovery. I was still glad to get out of work early because I had to drive to the south side of Ann Arbor to pick up Lily, run a few errands on my way home, and finish packing before we took off for Lovells. We didn’t get there until around midnight so we rolled in and went straight to bed. Lily had some trouble sleeping our first night there, possibly due to her new surroundings. When I first took her into the bedroom and laid down with her, she started crying. I turned on the light for a few minutes and once she got a chance to look around at where she was, she was fine with me turning the light off again and settled right down to sleep. I forget sometimes how aware and curious she is about the world around her.

We had a nice Thanksgiving with Paul’s parents. Usually we do holidays with my family as we have more set traditions for what we do on every holiday. We then spend the weekend after the holiday with Paul’s family as their plans are more laid back and they live three hours away so a day visit is impossible. This year was different since my family celebrated Thanksgiving early due to my grandma’s surgery. It was nice to be able to spend Thanksgiving with Paul’s parents. It was a good thing that we could come because we were the only ones there. Otherwise, it would have been a lonely holiday for them. I felt bad, though, that my parents had a lonely Thanksgiving meal with just the two of them after spending the day up at the hospital with my grandma. I called everyone to wish them a happy holiday and checked on my grandmother’s progress. We had a nice dinner then a good lazy weekend. Paul did some hunting and Lily enjoyed playing with all of the toys by herself. I took most of Lily’s naps with her which was wonderful. She got on an odd schedule of sleeping in until 8:30am, taking one long afternoon nap, and then crashing early around 7:30pm. Lily barely ate any jarred baby food while we were there as she much preferred to eat whatever we were eating. She enjoyed scrambled eggs, pancakes, mashed potatoes with gravy, venison roast, peas, and bread.

We stayed in Lovells until Saturday afternoon then headed back home. On our way home, we stopped in to visit my parents. We wanted to see my grandmother as well but she was still in the hospital due to issues with her incision site. We had leftovers from my parents’ Thanksgiving feast for two then tried to get some pictures of Lily in front of their Christmas tree for their holiday card. Lily was not happy in front of the tree and kept looking at it skeptically as she had never seen a Christmas tree before. She wouldn’t really smile and kept trying to crawl off so we didn’t get any good pictures. They gave up but then I decided to try again, setting Lily in a chair with their stuffed reindeer, Rodney. This time, she sat still and gave us some smiles. I hope they got at least one good picture to use.

On Sunday, I sent Paul solo to the airport to pick up Rachel because I knew that it would be a madhouse there. Plus, they technically only allow one person to take an unaccompanied minor to and from the gate. They have always let both of us go back but did make a big deal out of it last Christmas due to increased security during the holidays so I wanted to avoid any issues this year. Lily and I worked on unpacking while he was gone. Lily is really into pulling up now but is unsteady on her feet. This combination tends to lead to injury. My poor baby hurt herself three times on Sunday evening. First, she tried to pull up on a kitchen chair and fell forward into the leg of it, putting a big red swollen line down her forehead and causing a lot of tears. Luckily, Paul pulled in the driveway right then with Rachel and the sight of her big sister instantly turned Lily’s cries to smiles. Later, she pulled up on the coffee table. I was holding her so she wouldn’t fall but she suddenly lunged forward and banged her chin on the table causing her to cry. While I was holding her to calm her down, she was almost all better when she abruptly smashed her head into mine, hurting herself yet again and intensifying the tears. After that, I took my poor little girl to bed. I felt so bad for her but I know that injuries are par for the course now that she is more mobile. Despite the teary end to the weekend, it was really nice getting to spend four wonderful days with Lily. Now that she is crawling everywhere, it is so cute to watch her explore the world. She is also really into toys and is always trying to figure out what makes them work. We missed having Rachel with us for Thanksgiving but she had a nice visit with her mom.

Here are some pictures from this week.

Paul and Lily playing ball on the floor at Grandma Maureen's house on Thanksgiving morning. Lily is really good at the game. Paul rolled the ball to Lily:

Lily threw it back to Paul:

Who then rolled it back to Lily and so on:

Lily loved this toy because she can pull up on it:

Standing up on dad:

Little Bunny Foo-Foo, I don't want to see you, scooping up the field mice and bopping them on the head:

Looking out the window:


Eating the window:

Napping:

I loved how she had her hands clasped and her face buried in the blanket:

Paul inflated the ducky tub which Lily wanted to play with before her bath:

I wanted to take her picture but she wanted to look out the window instead of at the camera:

All cleaned up and ready for Baby's 1st Thanksgiving dinner:



All full now and ready to play again:

Getting out more stuffed animals on her own:

Trying to stand up again:

My happy clapping girl:

She kept trying to stand up this way but it didn't work:

Napping with daddy after an exciting first Thanksgiving:

My happy girl showing off her teeth on Friday morning:

Trying to get the camera from me:


Lily finally backed away far enough that I could take her picture properly:
Mmm, tastes like leftovers:


Lily playing with Grandma Maureen on Saturday:

We tried to get Lily's picture under my parents' tree for their Christmas card but she was less than enthusiastic:

She did, however, love this new toy of theirs:

Lily finally smiled for the camera when she had Rodney to play with:



Still playing with Rodney in her pajamas:
She loved his silly eyes:

Lily with Grandma Chris:

Standing up and playing with her Rainforest music player on Sunday morning:

No comments: