Sunday, November 9, 2008

25 Weeks Along (Friday, 11/7/08)

On Saturday, I picked up an overtime shift in the Blood Gas Lab which I used to do all of the time but haven’t since I got pregnant. I figured since our baby budget is bleak and my energy level is up, I might as well earn some extra moola while I can. Sunday I was a lazy bum and sat around all day watching Gilmore Girls. Somehow I have become hooked on rewatching it. I have all of the seasons on DVD and finished off season 3 on Sunday. Perhaps it is being pregnant with a girl that has me so connected to the mother-daughter show. Plus Lily kicks the most when I am lying on the couch watching the show. I am still getting use to that miraculous feeling.
Paul spent most of the weekend winterizing the gardens and planting the last of our spring bulbs. He did finally finish grouting the bathroom which I have been bugging him about for 8 weeks now. It is impossible to keep him focused on indoor tasks when the weather outside is nice. We had such beautiful weather this week but couldn’t enjoy it from our windowless world at work. With daylight savings time over, it has been pretty much dark when we get home from work. Wednesday was a light day for Paul so he took the afternoon off to enjoy the weather and get more yardwork done.
I always thought I would have the nursery done by the end of month 3 of pregnancy. I started decorating it with such fervor when I learned I was pregnant. But then we got busy and now we only have 3 months to go. We have all of the furniture (minus the changing table) and have registered for all of the accessories but the walls have not been painted so nothing can be put into place yet. The theme of the nursery is classic Winnie the Pooh and I want to have my artistically inclined husband do a mural of the 100 Acre Woods on one wall. I have been kicking over ideas in my head and finally sat down and poured through every Pooh book we have and every image I could find on Google and we have come up with a tentative plan. Paul started drawing out his ideas on Friday and I am psyched. My dad found an overhead projector at work so we can blow up the drawing onto the wall. I know this is a big project to take on but I think it will be really great when it is all done.

News from the womb…
The baby continues to perform reflex movements that will be essential to its survival after birth. The lips and mouth are sensitive and if the baby’s hand floats near its mouth, it may suck its thumb or fingers. The startle reflex is also present. By this time, I may be able to feel the baby “jump” when it hears a loud noise. The baby will also develop a strong grip during this month- far more powerful than that of the infant soon after birth. The fingernails and toenails continue to lengthen and cover the nail area. The blood vessels have developed in the baby’s lungs. After birth, these vessels will allow blood to flow through the lungs to bind to oxygen and circulate it to the baby’s tissues. The baby’s nostrils (which until now have been plugged) are now opening. The buds for the baby’s permanent teeth have begun to come in high in the gum behind the baby teeth. The baby’s spine will be made up of 33 rings, 150 joints, and 1,000 ligaments, all of which are used to support the body’s weight and all of which are now beginning to form.

No comments: