Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Ghosts and Goodies at Crossroads Village (10/3/10)

On Sunday afternoon, we went to Crossroads Village in Flint for the Ghosts and Goodies celebration. It was a cold but sunny day. Lily was all bundled up in her warm caterpillar costume so she didn't mind a bit.
The sign when we entered the park:
My cute little caterpillar posing by a pumpkin on the way in:


The first thing we did was buy tickets to ride the Huckleberry Railroad. We only had a few minutes to kill so we wandered around getting pictures of Lily by various decorations near the train depot. I wanted to get Lily to pose by these spiders but her hood kept dropping over her eyes so here you can see her wandering around, unable to see where she's going. Poor girl:

She looks very concerned here. Perhaps it is because she has heard that spiders eat caterpillars:

Happily exploring:
My dad, Lily, and I waiting to board the train:

Posing by an old train car:

You can't tell by this picture but Lily was super excited about the train. She kept pointing to it and declaring "twain, twain":

All aboard:

Lily didn't know what to make of the inside of the train:


Lily was kind of nervous wandering around inside the train and wanted to go back outside but once we were in motion, she loved it. Here she is looking a bit concerned as the train started moving:

And now she is loving it:

What could be better than a train ride on Grandma's lap?:

There were many Halloween displays to look at out the window. Lily loved lounging on my mom and seeing the sights:


An old west display:

Lily rode on my lap only briefly then wanted to go back to grandma:

When the train turned around, we got to see the engine:
Leaving the train and heading into the village for some trick-or-treating. We all received bags and a map of the 20 different spots where we could get candy:

Everywhere we looked, there were decorations. It was really cool:

While we all lost our willpower to the candy, Lily's favorite treat was an apple. What a good girl. She munched on this silly apple for over an hour:

One of the many decorations around the village:

Trick or treating at stop #7:

I loved this Snoopy scene:

We headed into the Parker carousel to warm up and let Lily have a ride:

Waiting for our turn:

Thankfully, they warned me that it is the fastest carousel in Michigan. I held Lily as tightly as I could but it was a bit difficult with her big bulky costume:

They weren't kidding! Once we took off, most of the pictures of us were a complete blur, even on my SLR camera set in sports mode. I gripped Lily tightly as my little daredevil alternated between yelling "wheee" and giggling uncontrollably:

She was very interested in watching the mechanism that made the horse go up and down:

So fun:


A ghost restaurant on our tour of the village:

I loved these trees:

I wanted to get some pictures of Lily and me by the trees but she wouldn't put down her apple (she ditched it only for the carousel ride then immediately started munching on it again). Therefore, I posed us by the apple tree:



At our last stop, we got to have cider and donuts. Yum:

Lily preferred her apple, of course. She also stole the pencil I was using to take a survey about our experience (I gave them rave reviews) and used it to color on my map:


My silly girl:


I should have taken more pictures of the "downtown" part of the village because it was decorated so wonderfully. I did take this picture of the intricate lighted spiderweb and giant spiders that hung above us as we made our way back out of the park:

Lily posing with a pumpkin:





She suddenly found the stem incredibly interesting:

I finally got a picture of the train depot and adorable candy corn posts as we were exiting the park:

The depot used to be located in Davison:

I wanted to get a picture of Lily with the "trick or treat" but she was way more interested in checking out the cat on the wall:

Lily and I by the boarding gate:

While we were at the depot, the train came by. Lily was very excited:
We had a really great day at Crossroads Village. I can't wait to take Lily back again next year. We will definitely need to bring Paul with us next time. I hung out at my parents' house for a little while to let Lily play some more before heading home. The clock chimed 9pm right before we left (Lily loves my parents' clock almost as much as she loves trains). For some reason, we all started counting the chimes for her. We got to 8 and on the next chime, Lily said "9". We were floored! I count things for her all the time but this is the first time she has counted by herself. What a smart little girl I have! Lily quickly crashed on the drive home but before doing so, happily whispered "train" a few times. She was most likely reminiscing about her wonderfully fun day!

No comments: